Monday, July 8, 2013

Made it Monday!

I am linking up again with 4th Grade Frolics for another Made it Monday!


This week I started on more bee stools for my bee themed classroom.  I made two of them two summers ago and my cuties love them!  The inspiration hit me when I was walking through IKEA with my friend Brandi and she and I laughed that the trashcans could be tiny stools.  We even turned them upside down and wiggled on them.  They are sooooo sturdy.  Then the lightbulb went on!  I COULD use them as stools AND I could paint them very easily because they already have layered sections.

Here are my first two:


So I started on making four more this week so that I have a set of six for my small group instruction table.

To make them, you will need
IKEA trash cans
Krylon yellow paint FOR PLASTIC
painters tape



Start by taping off the top section of each trash can and every other layer.






Once each section is taped off, use the Krylon yellow paint FOR PLASTIC to spray the entire trash can.  I used three coats of paint.  Also, standing back a ways makes it look better.



 I would recommend wearing gloves because your hand looks like this afterwards.


Let the paint dry (I watched an episode of Pretty Little Liars and ate Doritos while waiting - love that show!) and then remove the layers of tape.

Voila!

(If any of the yellow paint runs onto the black, just use a black sharpie to cover the yellow.)

If you want to add some eyes, just click and print the eyes below, cut them out, and laminate them.  Then hot glue them onto the stools.



 Since I am showing you bee stools, I wanted to also show you my adorable, new basket to hold our BEE folders:



Isn't it C.U.T.E.????  It was one of my {many} freebies from my Thirty One party that my friend Melissa and I hosted two weeks ago.  It's a perfect addition to my bee room.  I ordered other cutie patootie things for my classroom and home.  Thirty One products are FABULOUS!!!!


10 comments:

  1. I'm doing a bee themed classroom next year. I am in LOVE with your stools. I'm planning a trip to IKEA in the morning. I may just have to copy. So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so cute!!
    I also have a bee classroom.
    I bought a beehive birdfeeder to put in my room from Terry Village.
    I can't wait to get it.
    I'm thinking I now need to make these cute bee stools too;)

    Heather
    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete
  3. The teacher I'm mentoring this year is doing a "bee" theme and you have some adorable ideas!!! THanks for sharing. I'm your newest follower.

    Marie
    The Hands-On Teacher in First!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am wondering what the height of the trash cans are. My class has a Penguin theme- I think I could do something similar with a white tummy and wings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am wondering what the height of the trash cans are. My class has a Penguin theme- I think I could do something similar with a white tummy and wings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am doing a polka dot theme in my new Kindergarten room. I think I could do this with different size colored dots on the cans!! Hmmm, ideas, ideas!!

    Aimee Farrell

    mykindergartendream.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...